Building Biarch (Shared WoW64) Wine On Ubuntu

Questions about Wine on Linux
yetro

Building Biarch (Shared WoW64) Wine On Ubuntu

Post by yetro »

Hello,

I am trying to follow the instructions of http://wiki.winehq.org/BuildingBiarchWineOnUbuntu

I try to do it in debian wheezy

I have a problem with:
sudo lxc-create -t ubuntu -n my32bitbox -- --bindhome $LOGNAME -a i386

that doesn't works in debian

I had made:
sudo lxc-create -t debian -n my32bitbox
and I have create the container but i don't know what to do with -- --bindhome $LOGNAME -a i386

Can you help me ?
Thx.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Building Biarch (Shared WoW64) Wine On Ubuntu

Post by spoon0042 »

That line is all one command, I assume the '-a i386' bit in particular is needed to get 32-bit working.

What "doesn't work"?
yetro

Post by yetro »

I think there is no problem with -arch i386 option but it doesn't works because --bindhome is not a reconized option of debian template.

I can create a container named my32bitbox with debian template in 368 architecture, but the --bindhome option doesn't works. I think this option copy the system's users to the container and bind the home directory to the container. But i'm not sure. I don't understand what is a container. And i don't know how to modificate de minimal debian container created with "sudo lxc-create -t debian -n my32bitbox -a i386" to be equivalent to the container created by "sudo lxc-create -t ubuntu -n my32bitbox -- --bindhome $LOGNAME -a i386"

It's too complicate to get wine working in 32 and 64 bits. And i had read that wine64 doesn't works properly. So i think i'm wasting my time with wine.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

I've got like three ideas, not sure how terrible they are...

1. I assume the --bindhome option just does a 'mount --bind /home/username /wherever/home/username'. If you can find where lxc puts things you may be able to mount that (as root) after starting the container. Maybe.*

2. Try installing the version of lxc from testing or unstable then trying the given instructions again. That might work.

3. Building on 64-bit is still a bit of a mess. If nothing else works you might consider reinstalling 32-bit debian or a newer 32- or 64-bit ubuntu. Or upgrading/migrating/whatever to unstable.

Not great options I'll admit. Sorry you've kind of hit a brick wall at this point.

edit: another possibly even crazier option: extract the /usr/share/lxc/templates/ files from a newer lxc. and/or try '-t debian --help' to see what that does instead of -t ubuntu.

* it's slightly more complicated that that, at the least it makes sure your user is properly set up in the container: /etc/passwd and things like that.