OLE problems: CoRegisterClassObject

Questions about Wine on Linux
lmeyerhoff

OLE problems: CoRegisterClassObject

Post by lmeyerhoff »

Hallo!

I am setting up a Linux machine which has to run some Windows applications.
As I am new to using Wine and at the same time have no idea about Windows mechanisms like OLE etc., I am now stuck at one place.

When I try to install (and later on run) one specific application, I run into such a message:

Code: Select all

err:ole:CoRegisterClassObject object already registered for class {f73807eb-f83a-44ce-81af-3f860b50fc4c}
err:module:attach_process_dlls "TracerIO.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
Can somebody explain this message to me?
Does someone have an idea about how to fix it?

Saluti!

Ludwig
dimesio

Re: OLE problems: CoRegisterClassObject

Post by dimesio »

Is there a reason you're keeping the name of the app a secret? Have you checked the AppDB for it?

"TracerIO.dll" is not something Wine provides, so it must have been installed by the app. All I can tell from the little you've posted is that Wine failed to load that dll, which you probably figured out yourself just by reading that line.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem persists in the latest development release, post the full terminal output, not just the parts you think are important. And if you haven't checked the AppDB for known issues/workarounds, do so.
lmeyerhoff

Re: OLE problems: CoRegisterClassObject

Post by lmeyerhoff »

Hallo!

Thank you for the reply and for pointing to the appDB.
I did not know of the appDB before, I just checked: as expected, the application I want to run is not listed.
After all, the application I want to start is an internal tool developed by some other department some years ago. :-)

The error message I get is very short.
Of course, I understand the initialization of TracerIO.dll fails.
But this abort message is anticipated by a err:ole:CoRegisterClassObject error message.
I assume the abort is caused by the OLE error, but maybe I am wrong.

Once gain: can you explain the error message?

Here the data you were looking for.
ludwig@oehhp14d:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/TraceClient$ wine TraceClient.exe
err:ole:CoRegisterClassObject object already registered for class {f73807eb-f83a-44ce-81af-3f860b50fc4c}
err:module:attach_process_dlls "TracerIO.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\TraceClient\\TraceClient.exe" failed, status c0000142
ludwig@oehhp14d:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/TraceClient$ ls -lh TracerIO.dll
-rw-r--r-- 1 ludwig ludwig 452K Nov 28 2013 TracerIO.dll
ludwig@oehhp14d:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/TraceClient$ wine --version
wine-1.6.2

Saluti!

Ludwig