Quicken version that does NOT require 16-bit LDT segments

Questions about Wine on Linux
Pajoe

Quicken version that does NOT require 16-bit LDT segments

Post by Pajoe »

Our Quicken 2002 Basic stopped working and I think the error is related to 64 bit linux kernel, guessing it will probably be fixed in the future.

"Title"="Cannot create 16-bit LDT segments"
"Description"="Your system prevents the creation of 16-bit LDT segments. This will prevent many Windows applications from working."

Is there a newer version of Quicken that does not use the 16-bit LDT segments and is Wine compatible? We are happy with Quicken 2002 Basic but understand it may be time to upgrade

echo 1 >/proc/sys/abi/ldt16 does not work and I prefer not to go back to an older kernel

Thanks in advance

joe
dimesio

Re: Quicken version that does NOT require 16-bit LDT segment

Post by dimesio »

The AppDB can tell you which versions of Quicken work best in Wine. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... on&iId=107

As to exactly what version stopped including 16 bit parts, that I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that the most recent versions don't.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Quicken version that does NOT require 16-bit LDT segment

Post by oiaohm »

Linux Kernels 3.15+, 3.14.6+, 3.10.42+, 3.13.22+, 3.4.92+ and 3.2.60+ you need to run "echo 1 >/proc/sys/abi/ldt16"

Please note the versions carefully there is a black hole between versions with ldt16 and /proc/sys/abi/ldt16 being added. If /proc/sys/abi/ldt16 is 1 on those kernels with it the kernel is functioning exactly the same as a flawed kernel prior. Be warned wineserver has to be restarted before wine will recognise /proc/sys/abi/ldt16 as changed. wineserver -k.

The espfix64 is also finding ways to break hyper-visors. So 16 bit mode inside something like xen can be disabled with no means to turn it on. Hello people running wine inside some virtual machine to run old applications your goose is cooked.