wine + word 2007: problem with white spaces

Questions about Wine on Linux
suikoy

wine + word 2007: problem with white spaces

Post by suikoy »

Hi,
I have a problem when I open a word file via wine and many times I see that, in totally random way, word deletes some white spaces and so I have to see the file with a lot of words all attached.
If I open the same file with Libre Office for example, I don't find any problems..
Any advice?
Thanks
dimesio

Re: wine + word 2007: problem with white spaces

Post by dimesio »

I've never encountered that. What Wine version are you using, and did you follow the instructions in the AppDB for installing Office 2007? If your Wine version is not the latest development release, upgrade, and if you didn't follow the AppDB instructions, reinstall to a clean wineprefix following those instructions. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4992

If the problem persists in a fresh install in a clean wineprefix in current Wine, post terminal output from opening a file where this occurs.
suikoy

Post by suikoy »

Honestly I'm using Word through PlayOnLinux so inside home folder I can see: .PlayOnLinux/wine/linux-x86/1.2.3
1.2.3 is wine version?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux is not supported here. Their script for installing Office 2007 is just plain wrong: it adds unnecessary overrides and changes the Windows version, which will trigger a known bug. The version of Wine you are using is also old and no longer supported.

If you want to use POL, ask for help on their forum. If you want help here, upgrade Wine to the current development release and reinstall Office 2007 to a clean 32 bit wineprefix using plain Wine and following the instructions in the AppDB.
suikoy

Post by suikoy »

Before install PlayOnLinux I tried wine but I had a lot of problems at the execution of Word and so I chenged to PlayOnLinux and everything worked. But now this problem is very strange and difficult to resolve (in the POL forum I have not help) so I'm going to do another attempt with wine. I have ubuntu 12.04 (64bit). Can you be kind enough to send me 2 links:
1) correct install of wine on my OS
2) correct install of office 2007 ?
Because I have a poor experience with wine..

PS: with wine will I have the possibility to open a file docx with Wine-Word? As file association directly from my file manager.. Thanks!
suikoy

Post by suikoy »

Hi, today I had a little free time and I have faced the problem above described. In short, I have uninstalled PlayonLinux and installed the last version of wine.
But I have another problem. If I launch Word application from the dash of Ubuntu doesn't start anything.
To understand the problem I have launched the file .desktop from command line and in fact I have obtained this error:

wine: invalid directory "/home/mark/.wine" in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path

If I do a less of the concerned file .desktop I get:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Microsoft Office Word 2007
Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/mark/.wine" wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/mark/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/mark/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Microsoft\\ Office/Microsoft\\ Office\\ Word\\ 2007.lnk
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
Comment=Create and edit professional-looking documents such as letters, papers, reports, and booklets by using Microsoft Office Word.
Icon=FD9C_wordicon.0
Microsoft\ Office\ Word\ 2007.desktop (END)

So the path seems ok but Word doesn't start..
And if I try this:

wine /home/mark/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Office/Office12/WINWORD.EXE

I get an avalanche of errors but Word starts (or better the configuration windows start another time and then it crash)
Last attempt, if with Nautilus I navigate to the Word's file exe (and so this path: /home/mark/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/Office12) and right click on WINWORD.EXE open with wine, Word starts immediately without any problems!

So the question is: how can I fix the file .desktop to launch wine apps without navigate every time in this folder?
Many thanks ;)
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

The problem with spaces isn't a wine bug and can be fixed simply by installing sp2 or sp3: http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_susta ... paces.aspx