Wine sound stopped working after update.

Questions about Wine on Linux
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Wine sound stopped working after update.

Post by Circlotron »

I got impatient waiting for 1.7.20 so I took a deep breath and after checking for it's availability one last time I downloaded and compiled from source. All seemed to go well but it did give a warning about there being no sound because it couldn't find something (sound hardware?). Other than that and a few missing fonts it worked. Then right after it finished, I found 1.7.20 WAS available from Ububntu repository... So I uninstalled from the command line and installed the precompiled version. Still no sound. In Wine config Audio there is only system default available; no other choices. What to do now?
dimesio

Re: Wine sound stopped working after update.

Post by dimesio »

Try deleting the wineprefix, then run winecfg to recreate it. If there's still no sound, post terminal output from running the sound test in winecfg.
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Circlotron »

Okay, I might try that when I get home. I just read though that this will hose all my installed Windows apps, about 8 or 9. Some are a bit pesky to install. Is there something less damaging I could try first before I get too drastic?
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Circlotron »

I haven't deleted the Wine prefix yet, but here is the results of running winecfg

~ $ winecfg
fixme:ntoskrnl:HalGetBusData (4 0 180 0x53e4fc 4) stub!
err:mmdevapi:DllGetClassObject Driver initialization failed
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
------------------------
Then pressed the Test Sound button:
------------------------
err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
err:ole:apartment_getclassobject DllGetClassObject returned error 0x80004005
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {bcde0395-e52f-467c-8e3d-c4579291692e} could be created for context 0x1
------------------------
Does that tell us anything useful?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You can test a clean wineprefix just by creating a separate one. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
That is not normal. Was there any sound (even bad sound) when you clicked the button?
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Circlotron »

Circlotron wrote:All seemed to go well but it did give a warning about there being no sound because it couldn't find something (sound hardware?).
The message was:
configure: WARNING: No sound system was found. Windows applications will be silent.
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Circlotron »

dimesio wrote:Try deleting the wineprefix, then run winecfg to recreate it. If there's still no sound, post terminal output from running the sound test in winecfg.
I renamed the wineprefix and then ran winecfg. Now new .wine folder and sound works. Deleted this folder and changed renamed folder back to .wine and back to no sound again. I wish I new what was different in the new folder so i could just copy it over instead of having to re-install the Windows apps.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Circlotron wrote:The message was:
configure: WARNING: No sound system was found. Windows applications will be silent.
I'm guessing you're running 64-bit and don't have 32-bit ALSA libs installed. You'll want to read this if you plan on building wine yourself: http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
Circlotron wrote:I renamed the wineprefix and then ran winecfg. Now new .wine folder and sound works. Deleted this folder and changed renamed folder back to .wine and back to no sound again. I wish I new what was different in the new folder so i could just copy it over instead of having to re-install the Windows apps.
I don't know if it's as simple as a registry key or something. It may be possible to find it with diff and the registry files, but "official" advice is probably just to reinstall things in a working wineprefix.
Circlotron
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Circlotron »

Nah, using 32 bit but only because I had read that wine can be a bit stroppy on 64.
Anyway, the other day I went configure uninstall and stacks of messages scrolled by. Then installed the repository version 1.7.22 that had just come out. Now it's all good again. Hadn't compiled anything for about 10 years till now; I think I remember why.