Talking Thar and WINE for Dragon Dictate

Questions about Wine on Linux
l_rivers

Talking Thar and WINE for Dragon Dictate

Post by l_rivers »

I have a lenovo Thinkpad T-61 with an
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz × 2
running 32-bit with Quadro NVS 140M/PCIe/SSE2
with 2.9 GiB or memory and a 154.2 GB hard disk.

I am running ubuntu 14.04.

I installed wine in 13.10 and then installed Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.0, and it failed.
When I upgraded to 14.04 it stripped WINE off the machine. :shock:

Ought I reinstall wine from Ubuntu Software Center?
What need I know to make Dragon work? It is a crucial program for me as I am moving from the Apple Mac OS Snowlion on my tower to Linux and have migrated to Linux from Windows xp a year ago. Note, Dragon worked fine and linus broke it :x

Thank You

Leo Rivers
dimesio

Re: Talking Thar and WINE for Dragon Dictate

Post by dimesio »

If you want to use Wine you're obviously going to have to reinstall it. I recommend installing the version in the PPA, as Ubuntu is prone to shipping obsolete versions in their main repository.

Check the AppDB for info on how to install the version of DNS you have. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=2077
l_rivers

Post by l_rivers »

PS: when I try to install WINE I get a window saying "To install WINE these items need to be remove: Nvdia opencl driver and lcd loaderlibrary nvidia-libopencl1-331" and gives ne a chice... cancel/install anyway.

I had quirky window and menu ation in 13.10 until I installed nvidia via ubuntu speacial driver selection. Please educate me and advise.. what are my choices here. Can new ubuntu handle my laptop without nvidia?
l_rivers

Post by l_rivers »

PPS: As a workaround I went to http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-wine-1 ... pear-os-8/ and followed the instructions:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks

Wine works. Nvideia is still working.