Running Foobar 2K in Ubuntu

Questions about Wine on Linux
arnstein

Running Foobar 2K in Ubuntu

Post by arnstein »

I saw a suggestion on how to run the music player foobar 2k under wine and Ubuntu by using wine to create a new drive that foobar can look at for its music library.
Tip suggests:

Open up Wine configuration
Switch to the Drives tab
Press Add...
Choose a letter you like the look of, & press OK
Enter the path:
CODE
/home/<yourusername>/.gvfs
& press OK

I am having trouble getting this to work. If I use a linux based music app to browse to the proper network folder I show the following path: run/user/1000/gvsf/smb-share:server=owner-pc,share=music/Mp3.

What should I put as the path in my Wine configuration for the new drive I want to use for Foobar? the simple path in the orig post gets Error! as does the one just above. I am using latest release of Zorin OS 8.1 32-bit.

Thanks if you can help. No ubuntu app I've tried matches foobar -- either they don't have the music library sorting capabilities I rely on or they choke on my 58K song library. Thanks for helping a new Linux user.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Running Foobar 2K in Ubuntu

Post by Bob Wya »

arnstein wrote: I am having trouble getting this to work. If I use a linux based music app to browse to the proper network folder I show the following path: run/user/1000/gvsf/smb-share:server=owner-pc,share=music/Mp3.
Hi arnstein,

That's a bit outside the remit of Wine support! I don't use Gnome - so I cannot comment with great authority on GVFS (Gnome Virtual FileSystem). However it appears that your network share is not mounted - but is being browsed/streamed using the smbclient/smb protocol. In order to use a SMB/CIFS network share (easily!) with Wine you want to use autofs or an fstab cifs mount point for the share. With such a mountpoint you can even mount (loopback) DVD images, etc. on the network drive and access them in Wine or in (native) XBMC.

Heres some more concrete examples...

Bob
arnstein

Post by arnstein »

Yes, I can see you're right because my current set up, even using a linux music app, needs to completely rescan my library each time I reboot my machine. I have checked out the links you offer, thanks, pretty much over my head. How can I tell which method is the right one to choose? I guess I'll go to the Ubuntu forum and ask for help there.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

arnstein wrote:Yes, I can see you're right because my current set up, even using a linux music app, needs to completely rescan my library each time I reboot my machine. I have checked out the links you offer, thanks, pretty much over my head. How can I tell which method is the right one to choose? I guess I'll go to the Ubuntu forum and ask for help there.
Hi arnstein,

The solution with the mount -t cifs is what you do first to test Samba share mounting. The solution with using the fstab is then to make the cifs mount more "permanent" - so it happens at boot. Both these options use a kernel module - so should be more "performant" than using smbfs (what GVFS uses).

The command is not too difficult to head your head around:
mount -t type //server/share mountpoint -o options

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /home/<yourusername>/cifs/music
sudo mount -t cifs //owner-pc/music /home/<yourusername>/cifs/music -o user=Guest,password=,_netdev,iocharset=utf8,uid=1000,gid=1000,file_mode=0750,dir_mode=0750,rw
(would work for shares with guest shares allowed with no password - change as appropriate)

If you are looking for more help it's generally a better idea to look on Ask Ubuntu than the Ubuntu Forums. It floats more "sensible" responses to the top - it is based on the Stack Exchange model. Most forums drive me bonkers these days - the Ubuntu ones are particularly bad...

Bob
arnstein

Post by arnstein »

I couldn't get any of that code to work, sigh. the makdir command failed. I run Zorin OS which allows right click folder creation and I made the cifs/music folders in my home directory, but then the second set of commands failed to find the directories. I'll bounce this over to the askubuntu forum you suggest. thanks for helping, even if I can't make your suggestions work. arnstein