HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD THE USB PATCHES SIMPLE???

Questions about Wine on Linux
DeLiiReeUm

HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD THE USB PATCHES SIMPLE???

Post by DeLiiReeUm »

I'm tired of wasting time and spending hours reading halfa$$ forums that wont explain simple intructions without assuming that everyones been using ubuntu for 10 years. I shouldnt have to spend days trying to figure this out.
I have already read the wine usb page and if i dont know how to download a patch, theres NOTHING to explain HOW to do it, then HOW am i supposed too install it?? Can someone PLEASE make this simple and i will love you forever.

WHAT do i download the patches WITH?
and HOW to i download them?
WHAT software and WHERE can i get it and HOW do i install it?
THEN WHAT do I do next and HOW DO I get the patches to work with wine?

i'm good with the terminal but anything other then that i need instructions from the get-go or its pointless.
a simple, step by step in detail with nothing left out, would help alot.

I am using wine 1.4
on ubuntu studio 12.4

anything would help
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD THE USB PATCHES SIMPLE???

Post by Bob Wya »

@DeLiiReeUm

Sound like you are a man in a hurry :lol: Why not just use this PPA?

Just keep in mind that USB support in Wine has not seen any development time in many months...

Bob
dimesio

Re: HOW DO YOU DOWNLOAD THE USB PATCHES SIMPLE???

Post by dimesio »

DeLiiReeUm wrote: WHAT do i download the patches WITH?
and HOW to i download them?
Well, you could download them the same way you would in Windows: right-click the link in your browser, and choose "Save."
You could also use wget, which is standard on any Linux system. The syntax is

Code: Select all

wget <url of file>
Run that from the directory you want to save the file in, which should be the Wine source directory.
WHAT software and WHERE can i get it and HOW do i install it?
I don't understand what you're asking here. Nothing on the USB wiki page says anything about downloading any software.
THEN WHAT do I do next and HOW DO I get the patches to work with wine?
Start reading here (and yes, you do have to read all the articles it links to): http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-719d19c ... c2a301ce52
I am using wine 1.4
on ubuntu studio 12.4
Your Wine version is old, but it doesn't matter, because you are going to have to build Wine yourself anyway.

Now, about those USB patches. I don't know why you think you need them, but be aware that they were only meant to work with USB dongles (and IIRC, only one particular brand), and are not a general fix for other kinds of USB devices. There is no such fix. So unless you are doing this for a dongle, don't waste your time.

You should also be aware that the patches will not apply to current Wine, are no longer being maintained, and a few months ago one of the developers told me that last time he tried them they didn't even work on the dongle they were designed for.