No tablet pressure - wintab not even trying?

Questions about Wine on Linux
DigitalMan
Level 1
Level 1

No tablet pressure - wintab not even trying?

Post by DigitalMan »

I'm putting Vue 10 through the wringer so I can update my report, and I'm trying to isolate what issues are caused by my not-quite-typical setup and which are genuinely broken. I'm especially hoping to get tablet pressure sensitivity working.

Fedora 20 KDE, 64-bit, Wine 1.7.13/15 (32-bit prefix) with no special configuration. Wacom Graphire4 4x5. Tablet software is installed and works perfectly fine in native Gimp and a Windows test application called "syspress".

I've checked some of the bug reports relating to tablet pressure, and this doesn't seem like any of them. Normally, one would expect some kind of event polling, and/or a massive heap of wintab32 messages when you move the pen around, which happens in syspress. But I get virtually nothing from Vue.

With WINEDEBUG="+wintab32", I can see where it looks through my list of devices at program start, accurately determining that my mouse, keyboard, and camera are, surprisingly enough, not tablets at all. It recognizes all 4 parts of the tablet (stylus, eraser, cursor, and pad), and then apparently for each I get a lengthy DUMPCONTEXT message. Unlike in syspress, there is no mention of attaching an event queue to the tablet.

From there, there are only two events that will trigger a wintab32 message; when the program loses focus:
trace:wintab32:TABLET_WindowProc Incoming Message 0x1c (0x00000000, 0x00000000)
or gains focus:
trace:wintab32:TABLET_WindowProc Incoming Message 0x1c (0x00000001, 0x00000000)
And those messages are exactly the same whether focus was shifted with the tablet, mouse, or Alt+Tab.

Trying to use the tablet to actually draw, with the program set to use pressure sensitivity for one or more brush attributes, still behaves exactly like clicking with a mouse. I see no indication of actual tablet data going anywhere, nor requests for it. Adding "msg" to the debug makes for an extremely difficult to decipher log, but I still see no difference between using a mouse and using the tablet. It behaves the same even if my regular mouse has not been plugged in.

Has this been known to occur with other applications? Is it some configuration issue with my system?
KenSharp
Level 4
Level 4

Re: No tablet pressure - wintab not even trying?

Post by KenSharp »

It sounds like a bug so you might be better off opening a bug report.
http://wiki.winehq.org/Bugs

This forum is really for end user support so not many developers take a look, or do so infrequently.
(Include a link to here in the report so that any off-topic conversation can be made without spamming the bug report).

As you have said: there are a number of bug reports open for wintab32 already so I'm not sure just how well developed that area of Wine is.