Stefan Doesinger patches

Questions about Wine on Linux
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Stefan Doesinger patches

Post by chromaf »

I runt to compile 1.7.1 with them because I was playing Path of Exile on wine but I had terrible framedrops on Dominus ( the final boss ) and some other areas of Act3 with wine 1.6.

The rest of the game was ok. So I finally compiled and besides some graphics unestability I didn't get any visible gain on performance. plus I still get the terrible framedrops when I try to glsl=enabled.

My machine is pretty fast :

Intel 3930-K

16 GB of RAM

Nvidia GT 670 2GB RAM

I have activated CSMT=enabled on regedit under Wine --- > Direct3D

Do you know if this is right ? I mean is it possible that the patch doesn't affect this game at all ?

Other thing I wanted to say is, I have read that people can even enable the shaders glsl =enabled when before they had framedrops and now they play with it enabled and all is heaven and happiness with the patches .... Do you think I am doing something wrong ?

I just read that the patches won't work with the current 1.7.1 wine from git ... I compiled it from the download page tarball.

Is there some article or guide on how to do the whole process properly ? I'm getting paranoid.

Regards and thank you
dimesio

Re: Stefan Doesinger patches

Post by dimesio »

It is quite possible that the game you tested is not affected by the patches.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

chromaf http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-de ... 01106.html

Before patching if you should try __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine program.exe

Since you card is Nvidia you have __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 to get max boost you have to use CSMT and __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS together. Individually they give equal speed boost.

Difference is __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS is more stable than CSMT at this stage.

CSMT does not pass wine own test suite so your mileage will vary badly. CSMT will go up for merging once the issues with the wine test suite are mostly fixed.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

When I do this __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 wine program.exe and CSMT=enabled the game runs at miserable 14 frames per second ....

Any hints ?
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

chromaf 14 frames almost sounds like software rendering on that class of hardware. Do make sure you do have 32 bit nvidia drivers installed.

CSMT=enabled only works on CSMT patched wine. So make sure you are running the patched version. Some people have been caught running the standard version.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

I would like to note that only happens when I export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1

I am running gentoo AMD64 with x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-319.49 ( 319.49 drivers ) how do I check if I have the 32 bit drivers version ?

I am pretty sure I am using the patched version, I patched and compiled myself. but will duble check and compile again after checking if the driver is 32 or 64.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

http://wiki.winehq.org/3DDriverIssues

Should have included link last time. chromaf the instructions are there to make sure you do have 32 bit drivers.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Performance This is a interesting read for those trying to make wine perform.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

Thank you !

My thing here is right I guess ...

Code: Select all

Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation (nil) 1 (nil) 0
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x110000 0 0x32fdb8 4
err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GL version             : 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.49.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GL renderer            : GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo GLX version            : 1.4.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Server GLX version     : 1.4.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Server GLX vendor:     : NVIDIA Corporation.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Client GLX version     : 1.4.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Client GLX vendor:     : NVIDIA Corporation.
trace:wgl:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering enabled: True
trace:wgl:has_opengl GLX is up and running error_base = 167
It seems that it is getting the right card, but I must also say that the game doesn't detect the name of the card. I changed the memory size to two GB RAM on the Wine ---> Direct3D regedit tough. Not sure if wine it's actually reading that register file, cause I didn't notice any improvement either when I changed the VideoMemorySize to 2024 ...

Any hints why if wine sees the right driver when I export __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 it works like I have no video card or software render ?

Thanks !!
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init The GLSL shader backend has been disabled. You get to keep all the pieces if it breaks.
This line is important I missed where you had turned off GLSL. This forces a lot of operations back to cpu.

I forgot GLSL shader disabled and __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 don't mix well.

The issue with the GLSL shader not working can be Nvidia opengl only processing 1 at a time unless you enable __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1.

So please try one more test with GLSL enabled and with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

Hi, I just tested. Enabling glsl makes it go at 12 fps, with __GL_THREADED_OPTIMIZATIONS=1 I thought I tested it yesterday already but just did again to make sure. Could that be the driver version then ??

I also reverted to Wine 1.6 to test it and the same happens with this config. 12 FPS.

Thanks
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

chromaf only thing I have not asked have you run a Linux native game like xonotic.org To make sure your graphics can perform normally.

It would be really annoying if your problem turns out to be Nvidia video card stuffed with lint.(they down clock when too hot)

http://wiki.winehq.org/Performance is about the only options left to attempt to locate what the application is doing to cause it to be so slow.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

What you mean with stuffed with lint ? It's a GIGABYTE Nvidia, authorized maker I think.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

chromaf stuffed with lint basically referring to cooling fan full of dust/dirt....

Last time I was having major graphic performance problems it traced to computer needing a good clean.
chromaf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chromaf »

This computer is new ! I just changed the RAM frequency to to maximum performance, it was running at 324 Mhz and now it's running at 3004 Mhz, should it make a difference ? It's also hotter now, jumped from 30º to 52º
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

chromaf it still pays to check I have had a label fall off something in a new machine and end up stuck under a fan of the video card as well. Yes chasing everywhere for a performance problem and it can be a bit of physical junk. Just has to be ruled out before too much effort.

I would be running some thing like xonotic.org that is native has 32 and 64 bit versions. Yes you can test both 32 bit that wine uses and general 64 bit that everything else uses.

Ok I know xonotic is a bit huge but it way smaller than suggesting http://www.phoronix-test-suite.com todo a bench.

chromaf higher clock speed equals more heat. But we don't know if there is any advantage if you don't have something that can bench.

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Benchmarking/

Basically something out the native benchmarking list needs to used next to rule out something about your hardware being to blame.