embedded Internet Explorer downloads html

Questions about Wine on Linux
Fred2
Level 2
Level 2

embedded Internet Explorer downloads html

Post by Fred2 »

Some applications embed Internet explorer to display content in html format. I use Trimble SketchUp 8 (and installed IE8 with winetricks, on Ubuntu 12.10).

I noticed that only when the SketchUp application starts and looses focus during load time (because I click somewhere else), any later opened "webdialog" (dialog with embedded IE) will ask to download and save the html instead of rendering it. When the application has focus during startup, this never happens and it renders the html just fine.

It appears very odd that window management (focus states etc.) can affect the embedding of Internet Explorer (which is not used as a window of its own, but embedded).

What would be good steps to narrow down the problem and to create a good bug report? (I know, no winetricks, but the issue could maybe happen in pure wine as well.)
dimesio

Re: embedded Internet Explorer downloads html

Post by dimesio »

You haven't mentioned what version of Wine you're using. If it's not the latest development release, you need to upgrade and test in that before filing any bug reports.

Why did you install IE8? If the app doesn't work with wine-gecko, you should file a bug for that.