Graphics card detection (or lack thereof)

Questions about Wine on Linux
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Graphics card detection (or lack thereof)

Post by Thaumaturge »

Greetings all.

As I understand it, the following is my situation:

I'm trying to get two games working - The Lost Crown and Darkness Within - but seem to be hitting a stumbling block in the detection of my graphics card.

The Lost Crown shows a settings window which claims that 3D acceleration is not supported by my graphics card, and gives me an empty drop-down from which to select a display device.

Darkness Within simply crashes, but a quick look at some terminal output suggests that the crash may be a result of it attempting to access a display device from an array or similar somewhere, and hitting invalid memory due to the list being empty.

My computer specs:
Gigabyte Q2005 (A netbook)
CPU: Intel Atom N550
Graphics: Intel GMA 3150
Memory: 2GB

I'm using Wine 1.5.5

I am, I believe, running both games in the same custom Wine prefix.

Having read up a little, I've downloaded the DirectX drivers as directed here.

I've also added the VideoPciVendorID and VideoPciDeviceID registry keys described here, although I'm not confident that I did so correctly: the output of "lspci -n" produces a fair few entries, so, based on the description on that page, I took the values from the only entry that has "0300" before the colon and used those. I think that I have them in the correct keys. (In case it helps, the device ID that I have is a011 and the vendor ID is 8086.)

Finally, I believe that I'm using these intel drivers.

While my graphics card is by no means wonderful, it does seem to support 3D acceleration, so I'm inclined to think that it should work. Using a more powerful machine is currently not, I fear, feasible for me. :/

My thanks for any help given! ^_^
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Graphics card detection (or lack thereof)

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

what does glxinfo tell you, especially about direct rendering?

Which linux distribution are you using, and is it 32 or 64 bit? Depending on your distro you should get latest intel drivers.

You shouldn't install Windows DirectX by yourself, if the game itself tries to, please skip it, this usually won't work that way. Installing some dx dlls by winetricks would be ok. Please get latest wine version (1.5.15), run your games again from command line and post complete terminal output. You probably shouldn't tweak your (wine's) registry, I'm quite sure, that wine already knows intel gma 3150, if not you'd better file a bug for that.
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

lahmbi5678 wrote:what does glxinfo tell you, especially about direct rendering?
glxinfo wrote:direct rendering: Yes
lahmbi5678 wrote:Which linux distribution are you using, and is it 32 or 64 bit?
As noted above, I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 (I'll confess that I'm still relatively new to Ubuntu; if this is not the information that you requested, could you please explain to me how to find what you do want?). I believe that it's 32-bit.
You shouldn't install Windows DirectX by yourself, if the game itself tries to, please skip it, this usually won't work that way.
I did indeed skip the DirectX version offered by the game (I don't recall whether both offered it, but I do seem to recall that I'd already gathered that I shouldn't install it so and so skipped such offers).

As to other versions (including the Winetricks version), I installed those only in response to this issue, as I recall, based on initial searches for a solution.

As to the latest version of Wine, it doesn't look as though there's a version of 1.5.15 (or indeed anything after 1.5.5) for Ubuntu 11.10, although there does seem to be one for Ubuntu 12.04 (which latter version of Ubuntu alas broke some things that it's somewhat important to me to keep working, so I've stuck with 11.1 for now).

So, using Wine 1.5.5, this is the terminal output on attempting to run The Lost Crown:

Code: Select all

fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33eff0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint Winepulse is not officially supported by the wine project
fixme:winediag:AUDDRV_GetAudioEndpoint For sound related feedback and support, please visit http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1960599
It looks as though the game is attempting to find a list of display devices, but that the method used to do so is a stub that simply returns null. :/

I'm tempted to try building from source, but am hesitant due to relatively limited knowledge of Ubuntu - in particular the making sure of my having all dependencies. :/
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

I'm not really sure, what to tell you. You could ask for help in the forum mentioned in the terminal output. I'*m not sure about how critical the fixme about EnumDisplayDevices is, the other messages in the terminal output are about issues with winepulse (patch for pulse audio), which isn't supported by wine. Can you post terminal output of the other game, too? The issues may also be caused by the intel driver, do you have another computer to test it on? Maybe you should try again with a clean wineprefix (basically your .wine folder, move/rename it, wine will create a new (almost empty) one, reinstall the games, afterwards you can simply move the original folder back, if you want to restore previus state).

Though it's quite an effort, I'd like to recommend you to compile wine yourself. To easily get all the dependencies in, http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages suggests "sudo apt-get build-dep wine1.3" (maybe wine1.4 instead of wine1.3).
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

... do you have another computer to test it on?
Not conveniently, I don't think.
Maybe you should try again with a clean wineprefix ...
Heh, it was in a clean prefix. ^^;

As to compiling Wine, it looks as though getting the dependencies is rather easier than I'd expected - thank you very much for the link! ^_^

However, I find myself hitting another snag:
I'm trying to get hold of the source, and to that end ran "apt-get source wine1.5" - only to find it downloaded what seems to be the source for 1.5.5 again. I've looked at the Launchpad page, and in particular the package intended for Ubuntu 12.04, I believe, but don't know which of the files I should download - I don't want to end up with downloading a version that's incompatible with Ubuntu 11.1, or accidentally install the binary for Ubuntu 12.04. Additionally, I find myself wondering whether the lack of a version (even of source, it seems) for Ubuntu 11.1 might not be a result of some incompatibility between that version of Ubuntu and the newer version of Wine...

In the meanwhile I hopefully have the dependencies downloading.

(Unfortunately I've already uninstalled Wine as directed on the page that describes building from source, and didn't run another test between reading your message and performing the uninstallation, so I don't have further output - sorry! ^^;; )
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

(My apologies for the double-post; I don't seem to see an "edit" button on my post above, although I'll confess that it's entirely possible that I'm missing it due to tiredness. ^^;

[edit] Indeed, it seems that this post has an "edit" button (hence this edit :P), but that my post above doesn't - presumably a result of it being a moderated post. Ah well. [/edit]
)

Update:
I think that I have the appropriate source now, and am compiling it. I'll hopefully post another update once it's done and I have some new results...
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

Right, I seem to have Wine 1.5.15 compiled and installed, and have confirmed by means of a previously-working game that it does indeed still work.

However, it doesn't seem to have fixed my problem. :/

Here follows the first part of the output from a run of Darkness Within, I believe (the remainder of the output was a crash report due to the page fault noted below, I think):

Code: Select all

fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x72ee6c,0x00000000), stub!
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x439cfc (thread 0009), starting debugger...
(I imagine that the game expects a list including at least one device, and is blindly accessing said list, leading to an attempt to access invalid memory.

I'll note that I haven't re-installed the games, nor done anything with my graphics drivers.

[edit]
I'*m not sure about how critical the fixme about EnumDisplayDevices is ...
Given that at least one of the games is explicitly complaining about a lack of display devices, and that both games seem to be accessing the "EnumDisplayDevicesW" method, I strongly suspect that said method is indeed the source of my problem.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

one last thing you could check is how recent your intel drivers are. There are some repositories for intel drivers, e.g. https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/g ... er=oneiric. Unfortunately no repository seems to provide latest intel drivers for Oneiric, not even xorg-edgers, which I wouldn't recommend anyway. You could try to build the intel driver yourself, but it probably has dependencies on latest kernel version, xorg, etc, so may not be feasible.

If all else fails, you may have to file a bug and hope that some wine developer with intel hardware picks it up.
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

I've managed to install the game on another computer for testing purposes (I don't mean to attempt to play it there). That machine is running Ubuntu 12.04 and uses an nVidia graphics card, I believe, and the game seems to run there. A quick terminal run shows that the same "EnumDisplayDevicesW" "fixme" turns up there, despite the computer's graphics card showing up in the settings window.

It really does look as though the problem is likely a graphics driver issue. :/

I've looked at the page for the Intel driver that I'm using (linked-to in my first post here, I believe), and it seems that while there are more recent drivers, there are none more recent for Ubuntu 11.10. As to the drivers to which you linked, it seems that the 11.10 drivers offered there are actually a few months older than the most recent of mine. It is starting to look as though support for 11.10 is being left behind at this point. :/

As to building Intel drivers, I really don't want to get into that, I fear. :/

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help. ^_^
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

you could try to file a bug in wine, the issue is probably that the intel driver is not as "feature-complete" as nvidia driver, otoh wine should be able to cope with the intel driver.
Thaumaturge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Thaumaturge »

Fair enough; 'tis done.