Can't make Wine work in Debian Jessie 64bit

Questions about Wine on Linux
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Can't make Wine work in Debian Jessie 64bit

Post by LMLM »

I used to have 32-bit Debian Wheezy, now I have 64-bit Debian Jessie. I installed these packages:

libwine (version 1.6.2-20)
libwine-gecko-2.21 (version 2.21+dfsg2-1)
p7zip (version 9.20.1~dfsg.1-4.1)
wine (version 1.6.2-20)
wine64 (version 1.6.2-20)
winetricks (version 0.0+20141009+svn1208-2)

I tried to run an application and got this:
it looks like multiarch needs to be enabled. as root, please
execute "dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update &&
apt-get install wine32"
I did, except I didn't run 'apt-get install wine32.' Instead, I ran Synaptic, now full of i386 packages. There is no wine32 package.

I decided to install binfmt-support (version 2.1.5-1) and wine-binfmt (version 1.6.2-20). That doesn't help.

Code: Select all

home> wine /home/me/.wine/drive_c/Progs/tinywebs/edtwin.exe
wine: could not run L"Z:\\home\\me\\.wine\\drive_c\\Progs\\tinywebs\\edtwin.exe": 16-bit/DOS support missing

home> wine /home/audio/caustic/Caustic_31/app/Caustic.exe
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\audio\caustic\Caustic_31\app\Caustic.exe.

home> wine /home/me/.wine/drive_c/Progs/Au/XXI.exe
wine: Bad EXE format for Z:\home\me\.wine\drive_c\Progs\Au\XXI.exe.
Any ideas?

Please note Wine created the ~/.wine64 folder and I am running the applications from their old .wine installation folder, which I preserved. I don't know if that matters at all. I wouldn't think so because I've been through several system upgrades (including distro changes) over many years and I never had to install these applications properly. Merely copying their directories over has always been enough.
dimesio

Re: Can't make Wine work in Debian Jessie 64bit

Post by dimesio »

LMLM wrote: I tried to run an application and got this:
it looks like multiarch needs to be enabled. as root, please
execute "dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update &&
apt-get install wine32"
I did, except I didn't run 'apt-get install wine32.'
Maybe you should try running the command exactly as the message specified. If that doesn't work, ask on the Debian forum or contact the package maintainer. This appears to be a packaging issue.

Code: Select all

wine: could not run L"Z:\\home\\me\\.wine\\drive_c\\Progs\\tinywebs\\edtwin.exe": 16-bit/DOS support missing
Possibly this: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-bf26e32 ... a60a433f88. You also need to install DOSBox.
LMLM
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LMLM »

OK, 'apt-get install wine32' actually worked. I don't understand how, since it is not listed by the repositories, but anyway, computers are weird.

Dosbox wasn't necessary.

Thank you.
jobsworth

Post by jobsworth »

LMLM wrote:OK, 'apt-get install wine32' actually worked. I don't understand how, since it is not listed by the repositories, but anyway, computers are weird.

Dosbox wasn't necessary.

Thank you.
right on brother. thanks for the assist. works just great.
i just hope that all of the other wine garbage that is in the repository and which i did install does not intefere.
next problem is how to put shortcuts on the desktop.
wine and wine 64 install themselves as root and not as home which makes them super privileged.
so that links cannot be copied to the desktop file.
dam now i notice that we have lost the dictionery.
is it just me but i notice that each new release of debian has slightly less features than the previous.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

wine and wine 64 install themselves as root and not as home which makes them super privileged.
This shouldn't be happening unless you intentionally ran wine as root. You'll probably want to delete those wineprefixes and start from scratch.
Roman Călin

Post by Roman Călin »

Hi!

my os: Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) 64-bit GNOME 3,14,1

I try to install wine from here: https://wiki.debian.org/RunningWindowsPrograms
root@debian:~# apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0
After these command i receive:
Package lib32bz2-1.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'lib32bz2-1.0' has no installation candidate
root@debian:~# apt-get install p11-kit:i386
Here it propose me to delete 16 packages:
evolution evolution-data-server evolution-plugins gdm3 gnome gnome-contacts
gnome-core gnome-keyring gnome-session gnome-shell
gnome-shell-extension-weather gnome-shell-extensions libfolks-eds25 p11-kit
seahorse task-gnome-desktop
maybe because lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 must be installed first
normal_user@debian:~# WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
here config windows opens, and it-s operational

Is there another way to install wine on jessie 64 stable?

Thanks in advance!
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

That wiki page may be out of date. There is someone maintaining recent versions of wine for debian, naming the packages ie. wine-development. It should be as simple as 'apt-get install wine32-development' (that's most likely what you want). That will install the jessie version which is slightly older. Current versions are only built for unstable but should be installable on stable if you want to try. One issue though (unless something has changed) is gecko and mono have to be installed manually, see http://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko and http://wiki.winehq.org/Mono to get the .msi then wine-development start /unix /path/to/whatever.msi (I think).
Roman Călin

Post by Roman Călin »

spoon0042 wrote:That wiki page may be out of date. There is someone maintaining recent versions of wine for debian, naming the packages ie. wine-development. It should be as simple as 'apt-get install wine32-development' (that's most likely what you want).
i installed it successfully, cfg opens at: WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

but i cant locate it on OS applications menu, also:

# wine PROGRAM
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\PROGRAM.exe"
# wine --version
wine-1.6.2
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Never run Wine as root. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_as_root

Follow these instructions for running apps from the command line: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

Plain Wine does not add menu entries for its builtin programs. Some distros add them to their Wine packages.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

i installed it successfully, cfg opens at: WINEARCH=win32 winecfg

but i cant locate it on OS applications menu, also:

# wine PROGRAM
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\PROGRAM.exe"
# wine --version
wine-1.6.2
The packaging is designed so a "stable" and "development" version can both be installed. You have to run 'wine-development' to use the more recent wine, and you can uninstall the plain "wine" packages if you want. I don't think any menu entries are created by default either.
Roman Călin

Post by Roman Călin »

The packaging is designed so a "stable" and "development" version can both be installed. You have to run 'wine-development' to use the more recent wine, and you can uninstall the plain "wine" packages if you want. I don't think any menu entries are created by default either.
i run: wine-development it creates .wine folder but i do not have the option described below:
1.5. Do I have to use the command line?

You do not have to use the command line to use Wine. You can use a graphical interface for most things, much like on Windows. In many cases you can right-click an installer and select "Open with Wine", or just double-click it. You can start installed programs using the shortcut icon or menu.
all i can add is that is possible to install applications from terminal! but i need more simplicity, because i preparing to install it to an 16 year old boy.
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

Roman Călin wrote:i run: wine-development it creates .wine folder but i do not have the option described below:
1.5. Do I have to use the command line?

You do not have to use the command line to use Wine. You can use a graphical interface for most things, much like on Windows. In many cases you can right-click an installer and select "Open with Wine", or just double-click it. You can start installed programs using the shortcut icon or menu.
all i can add is that is possible to install applications from terminal! but i need more simplicity, because i preparing to install it to an 16 year old boy.
You should be able to set that up in your desktop environment, I don't really know specifics though. Something like "file associations" maybe, or right click an .exe and see if it gives you an option like "open with".
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

When you install an application, winemenubuilder should create menu entries for the installed app, provided it is an app that adds itself to the menu in Windows.
Roman Călin

Post by Roman Călin »

dimesio wrote:When you install an application, winemenubuilder should create menu entries for the installed app, provided it is an app that adds itself to the menu in Windows.
i added it manually from open with - other applications- (i search-it below at W letter, but i find it on top)
see the picture: http://imgur.com/09ugw4x
now all work fine
Thanks Dimesio