How about this replacement of WINE.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
bussuser
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How about this replacement of WINE.

Post by bussuser »

Dan Kegel wrote:On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 6:55 AM, bussuser <[email protected]> wrote:
Has the wine project team pondered whether to move WINE into the kernel?
Yes, it's been discussed many times.
It turns out it's not worth the effort yet.
There are many lower-hanging fruit.
- Dan
but Mao the leader of the Unifiedkernel said Unifiedkernel is easier than WINE. because wine is in userspace, to implemente win32 calls it "like to use a high-level language to achieve another high-level language (for example, using Cobol to achieve Fortran)".

translated by google

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... N&ie=UTF-8

>
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM, bussuser <[email protected]> wrote:
Sadly, it looks like they used ReactOS code. This might be
a problem, since some of the ReactOS code may be tainted
with Microsoft copyrighted materials. (The ReactOS folks will
deny this, but the Wine project does not trust their assurances.)

The Wine developers are well aware that moving part of wineserver
into the kernel will have performance benefits.
That doesn't mean it's worth doing yet.
It'd be more useful to, say, have Photoshop CS3 working, IMHO.
- Dan
bussuser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bussuser »

Dan Kegel wrote:On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM, bussuser <[email protected]> wrote:

The Wine developers are well aware that moving part of wineserver
into the kernel will have performance benefits.
That doesn't mean it's worth doing yet.
It'd be more useful to, say, have Photoshop CS3 working, IMHO.
- Dan

Dan, i am wrong. the links should be:

Ove Kaaven

Post by Ove Kaaven »

bussuser skrev:
but Mao the leader of the Unifiedkernel said Unifiedkernel is easier than WINE. because wine is in userspace, to implemente win32 calls it "like to use a high-level language to achieve another high-level language (for example, using Cobol to achieve Fortran)".
More efficient, flexible, and powerful maybe, but "easier" sounds like a
bogus argument. In fact, even in his analogy, I'm pretty sure it'd be
easier to implement Fortran in Cobol than it'd be to implement it in
assembly language. Performance might suffer, of course, but the very
point of a high-level language is to make things easy...
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

In my opinion, the linux kernel should have two version - server version and desktop version, just like ms windows. so the technique like as unified kernel can enter into the desktop linux kernel. it can help linux to have a big desktop market share .
I am not sure of Windows 2003 or better but every version before that
the server and desktop products were pretty much the same code for the
OS. The installer did set different registry keys that offered less
restrictions (in server versions depending on how much money you
paid...) but the OS as a whole was the same. The main difference in
the server versions was they included more server software than the
desktop versions.

John
Dan Kegel

Post by Dan Kegel »

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:52 PM, bussuser <[email protected]> wrote:
Dan, i am wrong. the links should be:
Your first link was good - I read all the articles, including that one.

(Amazing, this machine translation stuff. It's almost intelligible.)

To sum up:
1) yes, wine would like to have kernel support, it could improve
performance of realtime apps
2) no, we don't really need it yet, it's much more important to get apps working
3) kernel support is hard (so the chinese effort is impressive if it works)
4) any effort that uses reactos source code may run into copyright trouble
during a future code audit / lawsuit (because some reactos developers
have seen internal microsoft source code)
5) it would help if there were a bilingual chinese/english wine/kernel expert
around. It's hard for us nonbilingual nonexperts to actually say anything
intelligent and informed about the chinese project.

- Dan
rolandixor
Level 2
Level 2

I know it seems of topic but...

Post by rolandixor »

I'd love to see that project :cry:
Last edited by rolandixor on Thu May 29, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I know it seems of topic but...

Post by jeffz »

rolandixor wrote:I can't get reactos.org to load on my XP system.
This is the wrong place to ask. This is the Wine Users forum. Try the ReactOS website.
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM, rolandixor <[email protected]> wrote:
I can't get reactos.org to load on my XP system.
any ideas why?
1) reactos is not a replacment of wine.
2) This is not the reactos forum
3) Reactos is a complete operating system and is not meant to load
under XP unless you run it in a virtual machine.
4) reactos is in a pre alpha state. Which means it will run very few
applications and has very limited hardware support.

John
rolandixor
Level 2
Level 2

Re: I know it seems of topic but...

Post by rolandixor »

jeffz wrote:
rolandixor wrote:I can't get reactos.org to load on my XP system.
This is the wrong place to ask. This is the Wine Users forum. Try the ReactOS website.
I can't use it!
can't you understand? it won't load?

Since wine and reactos are so closely related, and this IS a forum, can't someone offer at least a byte of assistance?

BTW, I'm not mad, just had to be stern. thanks.
rolandixor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rolandixor »

John Drescher wrote:On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:05 PM, rolandixor <[email protected]> wrote:
I can't get reactos.org to load on my XP system.
any ideas why?
1) reactos is not a replacment of wine.
3) Reactos is a complete operating system and is not meant to load
under XP unless you run it in a virtual machine.

John
-am... I said REACTOS DOT ORG- that's a website, not the OS...
I want to see the site so I can know what this is about!!!

Forget it. Kinda silly of me, but I'm desperate here...
My ISP's tech support sucks.
John Drescher

Post by John Drescher »

-am... I said REACTOS DOT ORG- that's a website, not the OS...
I want to see the site so I can know what this is about!!!
Sorry. I would say my confusion on your question came from the fact
that I received this message on the wine mailing list and not the
forum. Forum posts in the mailing list come without any context unless
the user quoted something... So I took the post as user who thought
reactos was a replacement for wine and they wanted to run it under
windows XP...

John
rolandixor
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rolandixor »

I got through with reactos.org using proxy.org!
however, silly ISP won't offer support still... I'm going to give them a piece of mind soon...

anyway back on topic now.
I can finally find this thingy...
Phobos
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Phobos »

Dan Kegel wrote:On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 8:09 PM, bussuser <[email protected]> wrote:
- Dan
4) any effort that uses reactos source code may run into copyright trouble
during a future code audit / lawsuit (because some reactos developers
have seen internal microsoft source code)
that made me wonder... do you happen to have any proof of that?

maybe if people knows where the problem lies, they can prevent the copyright problem, right?... and maybe they can work with wine devs more easily..

and I also happen to agree some bilingual expert would be nice to have to understand that project easier hehe
bussuser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bussuser »

New version of unifiedkernel will be released in two or three months. It offers simple ways to install itself. And it will has implemented the Windows Registry mechanism, you do not need to use WINE to build the user space environment anymore.
jeffz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jeffz »

unified kernel is probably considered off-topic here and you should also read this:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8b4fbbe ... f0e8d25f2e
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

jeffz wrote:unified kernel is probably considered off-topic here and you should also read this:

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-8b4fbbe ... f0e8d25f2e
Correct. Wine is the 100% user space apps. Any "modifications" of Wine to work in some other way are off-topic.
linooxlee

Post by linooxlee »

The Linux Unified Kernel 0.2.2 is released. wine is updated to ver 1.0

download ver 0.2.2 : http://www.unifiedkernel.com/download/u ... ll.tar.bz2

To learn more about linux unified kernel, see the wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Kernel
bussuser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bussuser »

Linux unified kernel 2.0 will support the windows apps run on ARM machine.

http://www.longene.org/techdoc/0644167001388447880.html

translated by google.com

Written on the occasion of release of Longene(Linux unified kernel) 1.0

Decao Mao

After consideration , we decided to catch up before entering the 2014 release longene 1.0- that is compatible with Linux kernel, or else with the release of version 2.0 should huddled together , because we are in research and development longene 2.0 has also achieved good progress .

longene 1.0 mentioned here , refers to the Linux kernel Wineserver move to improve the operating efficiency of Wine . In recent years , Wine has made great progress , support for Windows applications on Linux kernel compatibility and stability has improved a lot . However , Wine service process through a user-space , namely Wineserver, to provide a virtual Windows system call interface , which was grafted to the Linux system calls, after all, is a bottleneck. So will Wineserver moved into the Linux kernel , closely integrated with the kernel , it can improve operational efficiency . However, if you simply put Wineserver into a kernel thread from a user -space process , so efficiency is very limited , because that is running Windows applications still frequent thread scheduling . Therefore, the Wineserver moved into the kernel , actually means removing Wineserver, it carried out the treatment to break up the process in the context of each user . In this regard, we have now to be able to release version 1.0 of the time. Maybe now we can not say who can run on Wine to run Windows applications can be as stable as the longene 1.0 , but for many in terms of software we tested did have a good run. In addition , longene 1.0 does not require patching the kernel , and can simply be installed as a module is loaded , which makes the deployment of longene simplified installation , and friends who want to try longene is very simple .

But longene version 1.0 with several previously released have a significantly different . Before we put on the Windows device driver compatibility very seriously , so trying to build a Linux kernel device driver to let Windows environment looked very much like the Windows kernel . This is a few years ago is very reasonable . For example , when Intel had the slogan "decisive battle in the living room ," seems Wintel camp will accomplish a great deal in terms of smart home , and this is likely to mean that the diversification of Windows device drivers , because contact with a wide variety of devices . However , over the years , but the actual situation is that the " decisive battle in the living room ," probably will not happen , because the AA (ARM + Android) architecture has become mainstream, and Android is running on the Linux kernel . In this case , consider the device driver compatible with Windows becomes redundant. So, have abandoned trying longene 1.0 compatible Windows device drivers in the kernel approach , it is no longer our goal. For the purposes of this aspect , longene 1.0 can be said to some extent in the return to Wine.

However , can cross- CPU architecture on both AA and machine architecture directly across operating systems running Windows applications ? Further , can the other non- x86 -based machines , and on Linux, Windows applications can be run directly ? This is much more interesting than the drive device is compatible with Windows x86 architecture in the Linux kernel . Imagine , if you can include a variety of Windows applications , including office software based on AA tablet coat , it is not very good? Admittedly now on Android also has many good software , but for some " heavyweight" people are still accustomed to those applications software for Windows. This is the longene 2.0 goals to be achieved .

To run Windows applications on x86 architecture binary image directly on the ARM architecture , obviously have to simulation (Emulation). Interestingly , Wine is "Wine is not an Emulator (Wine Is Not an Emulator ) " abbreviation, while based in longene Wine 2.0 , but that is to be simulated . But this is not a simple simulation simulation . We all know that QEMU is an open source emulator on Linux, QEMU can run on Wine , but you can try to know unacceptably slow . In fact , QEMU interpreted ( ie simulation ) x86 instruction user space ( including Wine instruction ) , it is just a case of system calls into the Linux kernel , where is the "original" running at full speed . General applications are running in the user space of time , less time to run into the kernel , so very slow. But if we can push it up the line to the Win API, if we could let one run Windows applications into the Win API, namely those DLL provided by Wine, will run at full speed to "original" , then running speed should can significantly improve because most applications actually always spin in a DLL at runtime , and Wine those DLL is compiled into ARM mode . In this way, we can combine Wine and QEMU and put Wineserver moved into the kernel , so you should be able to achieve our goal , this is our idea of ​​longene 2.0 . To this end we played in 2012 on a lot of experiments . Experiments show that , at least on the clock frequency up to 1GHz ARM processor modern , this is feasible . Now, longene 2.0 R & D has made very good progress , like Excel, PPT such software can already turn up in the ARM development board , of course, slower speed , but acceptable. The results, we think , both for practical applications on tablets and phones , or for the CPU and operating system localization , are meaningful.

After that we will temporarily maintain two branches longene . One is the 1.0 branch , which is cross-operating system for x86-compatible architecture. Another is the 2.0 branch , which is for both cross-operating system compatibility and inter- CPU architecture . But this is only a transition , after a period of time or to be integrated in the 2.0 branch. This is because , with respect to our objectives , for both the Linux ( x86 architecture , whether or not the x86 architecture ) compatible with the x86 architecture of Windows, support for running Windows applications directly , it is essentially the same. On the use of technology, the former is only a subset of the latter , after the 1.0 branch of progress ( eg progress from Wine 's ) should be also reflected in the 2.0 branch.

So please, my friends first play longene 1.0 , while looking forward to the release of longene 2.0 . Of course, we hope you will be able to participate in, and we work together.

---
the source codes:
http://www.longene.org/fileDownload.php ... e=download
bussuser
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bussuser »

video: ms office (x86 app) run on samsung SM-P600 pad (arm cpu) with android+wine+qemu

mp4 27.3M

pan.baidu.com/s/1eViJs