Launching Steam games broken in SVN.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3vi1 »

Anyone else notice that launching of games (CSS, HL2, etc.) from Steam appears to be foobar'd using the current SVN (wine-1.1.15-221-g79cc416)?

I haven't had a chance to do _proper_ regression test yet, but a quick test of jumping back to 1.14 made things work again. Other games (tested with Anarchy Online) are working fine with the current SVN, so I'm supposing the bug is somehow affecting Steam specifically.

I tested the current SVN with a fresh .wine and got the same results (Steam runs fine, but games never launch - even when starting steam with applaunch parameters). :\

Unless someone does it first, I'll try to find the offending patch tomorrow. Unfortunately work comes first... :p
vitamin

Re: Launching Steam games broken in SVN.

Post by vitamin »

3vi1 wrote:Anyone else notice that launching of games (CSS, HL2, etc.) from Steam appears to be foobar'd using the current SVN (wine-1.1.15-221-g79cc416)?
Works fine. Make sure your sound is working and that disabled in-game steam community.
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3vi1 »

Thanks for your reply Vitamin! I now have it working with the latest SVN, and discovered something that others may not have noticed because of their configuration:

With previous versions of Wine, I did not have to disable the in-game community just to launch games. I never actually used the feature since I heard it was broken and none of my friends play at the same hours, so there never seemed to be any harm in leaving it enabled.

With the latest SVN, the games won't even launch if Steam's in-game community enabled. This is a change in the way it behaves on my machine (and seems like a step backwards in relation to ever getting the feature working).

At any rate, I'm glad that it's working again with that minor tweak. Thanks again for the assist.
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

3vi1 wrote:With previous versions of Wine, I did not have to disable the in-game community just to launch games. I never actually used the feature since I heard it was broken and none of my friends play at the same hours, so there never seemed to be any harm in leaving it enabled.
Not true. Ever since it's introduction it was failing to start crashing every steam game.
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3vi1 »

vitamin wrote:
3vi1 wrote:With previous versions of Wine, I did not have to disable the in-game community just to launch games. I never actually used the feature since I heard it was broken and none of my friends play at the same hours, so there never seemed to be any harm in leaving it enabled.
Not true. Ever since it's introduction it was failing to start crashing every steam game.
Vitamin: Maybe your experience is different because of the number of friends on your list, their states, or some other factor, but for me it *is* true; I can recreate it at will.

Just now, I did it again to get the following screenshot: I replaced my SVN install with the standard Ubuntu 1.0.1 package, enabled in-game community, then launched CSS with no problem:

This is the same way it's always behaved for me (up to a couple of weeks ago - the last time I tried CSS against the daily SVN version).

After re-upgraded to the latest SVN, it won't launch games until you first disable the in-game community (pops up the box like their launching, then quickly disappears without starting the game). Just as I said.

If you still don't believe me, I can capture a desktop video to prove that I'm not just yanking your chain.

I could do a regression test and tell you exactly which patch from the past few weeks caused it to stopped working in this manner, but that's probably a waste of both of our times since, even though the games would launch, the feature wouldn't be usable.
Addys
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Addys »

Maybe Ubuntu's package works around that. Check on an earlier git version (not a prebuilt deb)
Jason Weisberger

Post by Jason Weisberger »

I can confirm that as well, up until recently I haven't had to disable the
in-game community either, however I don't ever actually recall it working
properly.

Jason Weisberger

On Feb 25, 2009 8:34 AM, "Addys" <[email protected]> wrote:

Maybe Ubuntu's package works around that. Check on an earlier git version
(not a prebuilt deb)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-us ... chment.htm
vitamin

Post by vitamin »

3vi1 wrote:Vitamin: Maybe your experience is different because of the number of friends on your list, their states, or some other factor, but for me it *is* true; I can recreate it at will.
Has nothing to do with that. You don't even need to be logged in into friends.

The in-game community "wrapper" does something that will never work on Wine. And I'm guessing some one in Valve forgot to check few error codes.
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 3vi1 »

Addys wrote:Maybe Ubuntu's package works around that. Check on an earlier git version (not a prebuilt deb)
As I said in all of my earlier messages, and as Jason has now confirmed, It worked fine even from SVN without disabling the in-game community until recent changes in SVN (changes in the last couple of weeks).
austin987
Wine Developer
Wine Developer

Post by austin987 »

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM, 3vi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
Addys wrote:
Maybe Ubuntu's package works around that. Check on an earlier git version (not a prebuilt deb)
As I said in all of my earlier messages, and as Jason has now confirmed, It worked fine even from SVN without disabling the in-game community until recent changes in SVN (changes in the last couple of weeks).

So run a regression test.

--
-Austin
James Mckenzie

Post by James Mckenzie »

Austin English <[email protected]> wrote on Feb 25th:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM, 3vi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
Addys wrote:
A search of Bugzilla may also be in order. This is a known problem and maybe a bug will reveal which git commit broke it. No need to redo work already completed.

James McKenzie
3vi1
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Launching Steam games broken in SVN.

Post by 3vi1 »

austin987 wrote:On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:05 PM, 3vi1 <[email protected]> wrote:
Addys wrote:

--
-Austin
As I stated in my earlier message to Vitamin, that's a waste of time. Fixing this bug is useless when the in-game community feature doesn't work (and might never work, as Vitamin points out) anyway.

I was merely noting the change in behavior of the app under Wine, and this horribly drawn out discussion got started after it was erroneously stated that what I was saying wasn't true.

It's true. Move along. Let's get on with our lives.