Learning to Debug

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
dan
Level 2
Level 2

Learning to Debug

Post by dan »

Hello,

I'm trying to learn to debug Wine. I'm not a programer, I just have a few programs that I would like to work on Wine.

I know I can install windows components and enable dlls. But when I run wine in debug mode and see fixme's and things. Is there anything I can learn from those debug logs that will help me get my programs to run better? I mean as a non-programer, can I actually fix anything on my machine?

As of right now I've been able to figure out that certain .dlls are not enabled. And I guess running regsvr32 should fix those. But is that about as far as I can go without knowing how to code?

Thanks.
dimesio

Re: Learning to Debug

Post by dimesio »

Working around a problem is not the same as fixing it. You can't fix anything in Wine without coding skills, but as an ordinary user you can learn a great deal about working around problems.
dan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dan »

It's good to know I can learn some work arounds. Can you give me some suggestions of what topics to read about?

Thanks
MikGbn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MikGbn »

dan wrote:It's good to know I can learn some work arounds. Can you give me some suggestions of what topics to read about?

Thanks
IMO you learn as you experience bugs/errors and try to fix them. I am a noob when it comes to linux/wine and so far haven't had any luck with getting one of my problems fixed but once that happens, i'll know how to solve some similar in future.

I don't think there's any guide to fixing problems but reading documentation and readme does help a lot