Windows Pipes

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
dancaselr

Windows Pipes

Post by dancaselr »

We have a broadcast news (radio) client app that's been running on XP for years. I'm trying to make it run in wine, and so far I've managed to jump every wall standing in my way. There's just one thing standing between where we are and where we need to be--the client and its server need to communicate via windows pipes.

I've searched and read everything I can find about this. I've seen people say pipes are working for them, and others who say pipes don't work in wine and never will. All I know for sure is that pipes support is a deal-breaker for us. I don't have access to the source code for this app, so we're stuck with what it was designed to do back when NT4 was hot stuff.

Can someone give me an authoritative answer on Windows Pipe support? I'm all about creative workarounds and mash-ups, so any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

.D.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows Pipes

Post by oiaohm »

dancaselr I am sorry but you question is vague. I understand why you would not even know.

http://wiki.winehq.org/NamedPipes

Notice you have local and network pipes inside windows. wineserver in fact support making local named pipes inside the same WINEPREFIX work. Now if the application happens to be using RPC network style you are in trouble.

There are 3 other types of pipe inside windows as well.

A debugging log of wine attempting to run the program would be good http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log.
Can someone give me an authoritative answer on Windows Pipe support?
Sorry cannot give exactly authoritative answer you want. The authoritative answer to a question this generic is it support is anyone between 100% to nothing depending on what type of Pipe the application is attempt to use. This is why you see never will work messages and it works perfectly messages and it works only in particular set-ups.

But I can give you some hope most cases there will ways of hacking wine source to make the pipe work well enough to make application happy.
dancaselr

Post by dancaselr »

I'm sorry, apparently I wasn't clear about our application.

Our application resides on a Windows Server 2003 box that gathers and parses newswire and audio feeds. The clients currently run on XPSP3 boxes and communicate with the server with a mix of TCP/IP, SMB (with UNC path) and network named pipes (connecting to the $IPC share on the server).
We've had this system in service for about 15 years (our original server was NT4). The client will not run on Windows versions newer than XPSP3.

I've managed to get everything working in wine except the network named pipes--and without them, the program is useless. Am I to understand from your response that the named pipes over a network are not supported?

Thanks!

D.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

dancaselr really is somewhere between not supported and a trip to visit 20 levels of hell.

The 20 levels of hell is to create a proxy application that talks to wineserver to setup and get data from the wineserver namepipe and transfer it to a samba to talk to namepipe or to anther pipe application.

UNC under wine is also nice and fake. https://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-gui ... -configure

dancaselr namepipes over network directly by wine is not supported. namepipes pretending to be over network when they are still just local is possible. Then that local going off to another pipe that is network is possible.

Yes I guess you can see the 20 levels of hell now. Yes it can be made work. But you really have to think do I really really want to.