is there a way to purposely disable mic capture in wine

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Featherbane

is there a way to purposely disable mic capture in wine

Post by Featherbane »

I am using an application (game) that seems to use a sort of peer-to-peer hosting method, and when a new 'host' is decided upon, the mic settings (which is set in the application to disabled) grab hold of the mic and take it completely over. This behaviour renders other functioning voice applications muted - forcing a restart of them (up until a new host is found in the game, causing this issue to reoccur).

Is there some way to set wine's 'mic capture' to none? Make it refer to null? Some registry entry that might do this ("hey app, ignore sound system, there isn't anything to capture")?
dimesio

Re: is there a way to purposely disable mic capture in wine

Post by dimesio »

You can disable sound altogether in the registry. http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
Featherbane

Re: is there a way to purposely disable mic capture in wine

Post by Featherbane »

dimesio wrote:You can disable sound altogether in the registry. http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys
Problem being, having it all disabled is not the intention. Just the microphone capture portion disabled is what is desired.

I was sort of hoping that a "none" device could be added in to HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers\winealsa.drv\devices as the list there shows many devices that do actually exist, but a 'none' isn't an option. Perhaps a dummy driver (application can then 'be happy' like there's something there, but doesn't actually do anything)? If it is possible, I don't know how exactly to 'word' the key.

Optimally, it would be something any application would understand as being 'not present'. That, I hope, would fix the issue I am running into.