Why was my entry to the database for SilkyPix Pro6 rejected?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
rlx
Level 1
Level 1

Why was my entry to the database for SilkyPix Pro6 rejected?

Post by rlx »

I feel many photographers using Linux would like to get at least partial information about how much support there is in Wine for the latest version of their photo software. I was looking for such information and I didn't find any entry in the database on the current versions of SilkyPix. I am a casual user of Wine but I managed to enter the data I have regarding SilkyPix Pro6 in the database. However, the entry was rejected on the basis that there were "No Test Results".

I filled in all the fields I had data on.

So I am puzzled. What did I do wrong? Is there a bug in the database entry manager?

I feel that publishing this information is important if we want to solve the problems users like me are meeting when running those apps.

As a last resort, I append here a copy of my report. If someone can point me to what is missing I will resubmit, otherwise I guess that anyone interested can find the report here.

Running Wine-1.7.12 on Slackware64 Multilib Current and kernel Linux version 3.10.9 (gcc version 4.8.1 (GCC) ) #6 SMP Sun Feb 16 07:48:49 EST 2014

Description
SilkyPix Pro6 (Japanese) is a camera raw file developer and manager.

Selected Test Results (selected in 'Test Results' table below)

What works

1. Directory browser works partially: a short list will display correctly but the scroll bar won't work for a long list.

2. Showing a single picture works, as well as editing that picture. The current state of the picture edition is saved and loaded as expected when moving from one picture to the next using the left or right arrow.

3. Developing the picture and writing the output jpeg file.

What does not work

1. As said above, directory lists won't scroll.

2. If showing all files in a directory, the thumbnails won't show a picture. And then when double-clicking a thumbnail the picture won't show either.

3. The window that pops-up when developing a file is too tight and the top portion where the output directory name is shown only partly so one can just guess what directory is being used.

4. The contrast controls won't work.

What was not tested
Most functionalities besides editing a picture and moving from one picture to the next were not tested since the software is in Japanese and I don't know Japanese!

Additional Comments
I needed to install 2 DLL's from my copy of Windows8: gdi32.dll and gdiplus.dll. The ones I got with winetricks were not enough I guess.
dimesio

Re: Why was my entry to the database for SilkyPix Pro6 rejec

Post by dimesio »

I looked up your submission in the rejected queue. The main fields (What works, What does not work, What was not tested) are all blank, though when I toggle the HTML source, I can see this code in the fields:

Code: Select all

<html style="cursor: auto ! important;">
  <head>

</head> 
  <body> </body>
</html>
As to what might have happened, what browser did you use, and do you have any plugins? We have had problems with some browser plugins messing up those fields, though usually they only add unwanted code rather than deleting content. The "<html style="cursor: auto ! important;">" is something you inserted, somehow, and that may have something to do with what happened to your content. Try submitting from a different browser, preferably without any plugins enabled.
rlx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlx »

Hi,

I am using Firefox latest edition.

In fact I submitted three entries. I filled all fields in the first entry. Then I realized that I had made some omission, and I tried to correct it by submitting "Add test data" entry which I thought would allow me to just add data to my first submission.

I did that a second time when I found out which DLL's I needed from my copy of Windows8 to make it work.

Now, I suspect that the "Add test data" is not a means to add to an existing entry which I first believed, but is rather a means to add a new entry. That is why I did not include test data in the two last entries.

However my initial entry included everything and was apparently rejected.

So, I will resubmit everything as a single new entry if you can confirm that the above report complete. :)

Thanks
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

"Add test data" creates a new test report.

I only found one submission from you in the rejected queue. If there were two others, we never got them.

The report you posted here looks complete, but I have a question about the gdi32 you said you had to copy from Windows 8. Did you actually set an override for it? Because gdi32 is one of a handful of dlls that Wine cannot use, and if you actually set that override, I would expect Wine to fail on start.
rlx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlx »

dimesio wrote:"Add test data" creates a new test report.

Did you actually set an override for it? Because gdi32 is one of a handful of dlls that Wine cannot use, and if you actually set that override, I would expect Wine to fail on start.
I don't know what an "override" is. I guess it is something you do with 'winecfg'. What I did actually was to monitor the messages I got from Wine and try to install the .dll's Wine asked for. I first tried with 'winetricks' and then I tried copying them from my Windows8 install if wine still complained. I remember I did that long ago with Windows3.1 or something like that and it used to work. But, I am afraid I am a pretty naive user when it gets to Windows stuff. I don't know how I can find the dependencies between dll's other than running Wine and looking at the error messages Wine provides.

The net result is that SilkyPix-3.2.13.0 (the version that works only for Fuji XTRANS cameras) seems to work very well under my install of Wine (with those dll's), but SilkyPix Pro5 English won't work at all (SilkyPix Pro5 asks for dll's that are already installed and copying the Windows8 ones won't help here) .

As I reported SilkyPix Pro6 works partially; I feel that replacing still a couple of dll's is just what is needed to make it work almost perfectly. At this point I can't even guess which dll's to look for! The English version of SilkyPix Pro6 is due this March (at most a couple of weeks from now). It would be great if SilkyPix Pro6 worked in Wine since the license is good for 2 computers and the Wine install would count for one, leaving the other one for the Windows side of my PC.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Yes, overrides are something you set in winecfg. Simply copying a dll for which Wine has a replacement (such as gdi32 and gdiplus) is not enough, because unless you set the override, Wine will continue to use its builtin version. That's what's happening in your case--Wine is still working because it's not using the native gdi32 you copied over.

As for gdiplus, winetricks does set overrides. What I think happened is that you copied the dll from Windows 8 after having installed gdiplus with winetricks, and since the override had already been set by winetricks, Wine is using the newer dll.

You should test and verify what dlls are really needed before resubmitting your report. And please remove the part about needing native gdi32; if someone did set an override for that, nothing would work in the wineprefix.
rlx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rlx »

Thank's so much for pointing to my errors and for the clear explanations. I will clean up my Wine install and submit and an updated report afterwards.