Certain Steam games won't launch

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
xBiocorex

Certain Steam games won't launch

Post by xBiocorex »

I did some moderate searching and didn't see my problem, so I'll post it here, as I believe it's a Wine problem (although it's very possible it's not, Ubuntu is an interesting beast XD).

About... oh, I'd say 3 weeks ago, I tried to open Garry's Mod and it said "launching", and the launching window closed as normal, but then nothing happened after that. This worried me, as it had never happened before, and after some investigating I also found that Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 will not work, although Left 4 Dead 2 has been getting complaints before. Everything else works fine.

Terminal does me no good, it just spams some weird error that means nothing and effects nothing, I get it for anything that has a graphical interface. Didn't see anything new in between the constant errors.

When in the System Monitor, it will say that the .exe is running, then it goes into pipe_wait, then the value is 0 and it goes away.
vitamin

Re: Certain Steam games won't launch

Post by vitamin »

xBiocorex wrote:I also found that Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 will not work, although Left 4 Dead 2 has been getting complaints before.
Disable steam community in-game. If it's disabled, then add 'gameoverlayrenderer.dll' to libraries list in winecfg and set it to disabled.
xBiocorex

Post by xBiocorex »

Oh my goodness, thank you SO much. Adding the .dll did it.